Monday, December 26, 2011

The Pack-Rat's Lament

Just when you thought you needed one more gown like a hole-in-the-head-with-a-great-big-arrow-sticking-out-of-it-that-just-happens-to-be-on-fire ... umm - where was I?  

Anyway, I've gone totally off clothing, but still drag my arsvatar to The White Armory to see what prim nightmare they have on offer as a group gift that will add another forty-leven items to my inventory.  Oh, sheesh - lookit this.   Yet another gorgeous gown, this time based on one of my favorite artists, designed to look terrific on a model standing around and gently sifting poses, but causing an ice-nine of lag on a dance floor, which is where my avs usually hang out.  Now what?  Put it on, take a picture (or twelve), and sort it into the Siberia of sorting folders (Clothes>gowns>blue gowns ... or would it be black? multi-colored? GAH!), leaving it to take up room like all the rest of them (one a week for how long?)?

Monet's water lily inspired gown from The White Armory

My avs wear these outfits once and then they are forgotten.  Who has the virtual social schedule to wear a hundred gowns?  Not me!   I'm still working up the nerve to go through the White Armory dresses, look over the POS* texture thoughtfully included (thankyouthankyou) and delete, delete, delete. ... But I caaaaaan't!  I can't delete these creations any more than I can leave the group.  I spent a couple of hours this morning blue penciling stuff in my inventory I figured I didn't really need and when I emptied the trash, it turned out to be less than 400 pieces, leaving my inventory still over 40,000.  How many times have I said, "I need to keep my inventory below 40,000/38,000/36,000/30,000/25,000," etc.?

This year I avoided the Ivalde Advent extravaganza for the sake of my inventory.  I did relent today and went to see what the last one was (because it was right in the box and you didn't have to search for it).  Oh, noooooo.  [head-desk, head-desk]  Oh, wait!  Look at that system skirt stretch!  This dress will never dance!  /me's finger lingers over the delete ...

Last advent gift from Ivalde

I didn't even make it out of the building without picking up something else.  They would put the Peace On Earth hunt thingie right out in the open where anyone could find it.  Oh great, this should be easy to get rid of.  I don't have any shoes to go with this ... Oh, wait.

Ivalde POE hunt gift

Arrrrrrgh!  However, the search for "emerald" in my inventory pulled up three hairs that I'm pretty sure I'll never need.  I can delete those.  I should probably go through all those hairs that came with all the colors of the rainbow in them and delete all but white and black ... and maybe some chestnut or warm browns or ... GAH!

Oh woe is Kathy!

You know what the worst part was?  I was cycling through the poses and this skirt, a normal un-meshy one, can take anything you dish out.  I have a leaping splits pose and it went all culotte on me instead of shreddy system skirt.  Oh, pook.  I guess I'll have to keep this one too.

Brilliant skirt action!


*That's "Point of Sale," not the other one.

2 comments:

  1. You and I need to have an inventory party...I see split screens and running chat...maybe use voice? On reason I don't work on my inventory more is boredom...with someone there to chat with, maybe I would make mroe headway. I sooooo relate tho. Gorgeous White Armory. I have an Alafolie (spelling?) like that..gorgeous until you try moving.
    Leeorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe what we need is an Inventory Bee at a sandbox where we rez things/try them on and vote them out of the inventory.

    ReplyDelete